When Patrón approached me about their Margarita of the Year contest I jumped at the chance to be involved. Being from Southern California I am a huge fan of margaritas. It’s always nice to find a new take on margaritas and that’s just what I found with the Tropicante Margarita that I made. It’s made with avocado, which may sound strange, but it really gives it a nice mouthfeel and creaminess. Plus it adds essential oils and fats, so it’s basically a salad. I got together with a few friends to eat Mexican food and drink margaritas. They all enjoyed the Tropicante. So much so that we ran out of avocados and had to switch to traditional margaritas because that Patrón Reposado is just too good.
1.75 oz Patrón Reposado
.5 oz Patrón Citrónge Mango
1 oz Fresh lime juice
.5 oz Light agave syrup
.25 Medium avocado
+ Short dash celery bitters
+ Short dash grapefruit bitters
+ Chipotle chili salt (.5 Cup salt : 1 T chipotle powder)
+ Sliced mango for garnish
1. Cut the avocado in half and remove the pit.
2. Scoop out half of one side and add to cocktail tin, mashing with spoon until soft.
3. Add liquid ingredients to the tin, use a spoon to release avocado from the side of the tin, and “dry shake” the contents (without ice) until the avocado is broken up and emulsified.
4. Rim a double old fashioned glass with chipotle chili salt* and fill with ice.
5. Add ice to shaker tin and shake vigorously until well chilled.
6. Use a mesh strainer to “fine strain” the cocktail into the iced glass.
7. Garnish with a ribbon of mango.
This post is in partnership with Patrón. The perfect way to enjoy Patrón is responsibly.